Botanical Name: Origanum vulgare
Country of Origin: Turkey (80.56% carcacrol)
Plant Part: Whole Herb
Distillation Method: Steam
Oregano blends well with: Basil, Geranium, Lemongrass, Myrtle, Rosemary, and Thyme Oil.
Traditional Uses :
Therapeutic Properties :
- Bacterial infection
Unlike manufactured antibiotics, there are no known tendencies for microbes to develop resistance to the Oil of Oregano. It sterilizes sewage water-- other research performed found a 1/4000 dilution of the oil sterilizes septic water.
Research at Georgetown University found Oregano oil at relatively low doses inhibited the growth of staphylococcus bacteria the same as antibiotics. It is suggested to take the oil internally, 3 drops in a cup of warm water several times a day.
- Oregano oil treats gastrointestinal and bronchial infections. Carvacroland Thymolare are the primary active constituents which acts as antibacterials, antispasmodics, increases the production of gastric juices, eases gas and bloating and helps to relieve menstrual cramps.
- Combats E. Coli, Salmonella and Pseudomonas.
- Oil of Oregano inhibits yeast infection (Candida). Oregano is the strongest action against Candida albicans.
Application and Use
- Apply oil to the bottom of the feet; if applied elsewhere, dilute 1:50 in carrier oil. Avoid contact with mucous membranes - it will burn!
- Fungal infection of finger and toenails. Rub a small amount of oregano into each affected area until the infection is completely cleared. Dilute 50/50 with olive oil as Oregano is a hot oil. Also can be blended with tea tree oil, used in the same manner externally.
- Can take internally - dilute in water, 1 or 2 drops per glass.
- Boosts immune system function: add 1 to 2 drops first to a carrier oil like Olive (or any other edible oil) with warm water; take several times per day.
- In general, the use of Oregano oil should be limited to treating acute conditions.
Safety Oregano oil is non-toxic, non-sensitizing and a non-irritant. Dilute to ingest, as it can burn the inside of the mouth. Not for long term use due to possible undesirable changes in liver metabolism.